Lansing slides down the ways at the Brown Shipbuilding Company in Houston Texas on August 2, 1943.
A total of 1804 men served in this hull and walked these decks. Coast Guard and Navy crews from the 1940's, 1950's and 1960's, each in turn manned the ship in the service of their country. During those years, the ship was in active commission status three separate times. Each commissioning found the vessel in a different configuration suitable for the mission of the time.
Twenty two years later, 21 May 1965, the last sailor would depart the decks of Lansing at the final decommissioning. Nine years later, on 6 September 1974, the ship was sold for scrap to Levin Metals Corporation, North First Street, San Jose, California